Thursday, June 6, 2013

iSearch proposal :)


Topic: Should special education students be given homework?

 

Possible Questions: Do parents at home already have enough to worry about, so homework would be too much?  Would it help the students keep the consistency of the classroom and help them academically?  Should it be the parent’s choice?  Should it be a school-wide decision or teacher to teacher, and they can choose?

People to Interview:  I plan on interviewing the teacher I am a Para-educator for, she teaches special education, and has done so for 6 years.  We teach in a communications support classroom, so our population of students is more severe.  So, I will also interview a SPED teacher of an inclusion setting to see if the responses are alike, or different.

Titles of Articles You Plan to Use: 
Autism, Homework and Beyond!

Homework Issues in Autism

Notes: I wanted to know more about this subject because this coming year when I teach ALONE, I want to have a better feel of how other professionals, parents, and researchers feel about assigning SPED students homework.  My initial thought is that it depends on the student, and their severity and home life, but it may not be fair to exempt certain students just because I feel they cannot handle it, and it may be wrong.

2 comments:

  1. You can interview me as well if you want. I have seen almost every one in the spectrum in autism. My brother is autism and I have a niece who is also autistic. So feel free to ask me question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely will keep that in mind :)

      Delete