Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Strategies for my Lesson Plan, P in PAR


Since I am most familiar with teaching special education, I would use the strategy of rewriting the most, because I constantly have to rewrite, modify, add pictures, delete text, rearrange text, add options, use technology, etc. to complete a lesson.  I also have to know how to quickly make changes in order to complete VAAP and aSOLs.  Page 64 discusses rewriting texts.

The students I work with, would mostly not be able to independently fill out a KWL chart, or a What I know activity on paper, but before lessons I typically do check for prior knowledge by verbally asking questions and writing their answers, or having the students pick out pictures from magazines or online that they think will relate to the topic.  

Schema theory is a very common thing found in my class.  Since the students with Autism are very routined, for example during multiplication if a student is learning 4s tables, and the problem is 4x5, they would write out 4- 5 times.  If they switch to 5s, and the problem is 5x5, they would write 5- 5 times and count, rather than actually knowing the answer without showing work.  With my students everything is very organized.

I do like to use graphic organizers to break apart the information and show the students the connections.  Sometimes, the students I teach have no idea what it is, but sometimes they can make connections and learn new things, so I always at least have to try.  Graphic Organizers are also useful because they are easy to fill in as a small group and discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment